Please note that due to safety protocols around COVID-19, our admission process has been slightly amended at this time.
Limited space is still available in the 4th & 5th grade classroom for the current 2021-22 school year. Applications for that class will be contacted by our admissions department for a personal tour and expedited schedule. Request a tour here.
Applicants for the 2022-23 school year, or those hoping to join the waitlist in other classes for the current year, should follow the process outlined below.
We know choosing a school can be overwhelming, and we’re here to help you through these steps:
- Browse the Website — Read all about our philosophy, model, schedule, and COVID-19 response to see if AHB might be the perfect school for your family.
- Attend a Virtual Information Session — Prospective parents should attend an info session to ask questions and learn more about AHB’s progressive education model. Information Sessions for the upcoming year’s admissions generally begin in late September. To RSVP and see upcoming dates: Request a tour here.
- Submit Application Paperwork — If AHB seems like the right choice for your family, proceed with the following:
- Attend an On-Campus Parent Interview — Once your application paperwork is in, the Head of School or Admissions officer will reach out to schedule a parent interview. We recommend that both parents attend this meeting. This is an opportunity for the adults to get to know one another — ask questions about our school and have a conversation about your child and family. In the elementary years, we recommend this to be an adult-only conversation, Middle School students are welcome to join at the parent’s discretion. In Covid times, it will also be your first opportunity to tour the campus (masked of course).
- Schedule Student’s Day Visit — If AHB seems like a potential fit for the family, we will schedule a student visit. During this visit, your child gets to know our school and the teachers get to know your child, both socially, by watching them interact with peers, and academically, through low-pressure assessments. Based on our Covid safety protocols, all visits are 1/2 days (mornings) at this time; parents will pick up the visiting child before lunch time to reduce exposure.
Admission Decisions & Timelines
Throughout the admission process, our communication strives to be clear, upfront, and helpful for your family to make a decision. Admission decisions are two fold. We carefully weigh the following factors:
Is AHB a good fit school for your child and family?
After your child’s day visit or family interview, the Head of School will conference with the teachers to make an admission determination based on how well we feel our school could serve your child, in the classroom for which she or he is potentially slated. (In other words, we look not only at individual applicants, but also the current or expected population of that classroom and how the group will likely function.) We also give careful consideration of whether we believe the family unit a whole can positively support our model. We aim to make and communicate this important decision as quickly as possible.
Please note that AHB Community School is committed to providing the best educational experience for our students. Though we welcome a diverse group of students, AHB is not staffed to meet the needs of children who have behavioral or educational differences for which specially-trained teachers or extensive one-on-one assistance is necessary. Successful AHB candidates generally have needs that can be accommodated within the classroom, can work with peers in a constructive manner, and are able to exercise an age-appropriate level of independence.
Is there space available in the class?
We begin accepting applications in October each year for the upcoming school year. The first round of admission offers for incoming kindergarten class are generally made in January. All other classes typically expect admission offers in early March, as openings in these classes are dependent on the re-registration of current families, which happens each year in February. Mid-year placements may be available if space allows.
If you accept the offer of admission to AHB Community School, we’ll send a timeline and appropriate information about the registration and enrollment of your student.