Water, water Everywhere!
This week we began our study of oceans by just exploring the properties of water. We talked about water as a precious resource, conducted experiments about different states of water, the water cycle, and how our human presence affects the earth’s water.
One team experiment was to create a place where land and water meet ~ some chose to make islands, others beaches and one team made a river.
After we created our land water sites we added “dwellings” (legos) and then sprinkled around waste. We then made rain to observe what would happen to the waste that was on the land….it ended up in the….water. This lead to our conversations about how to keep our waterways healthy.
We created splishy, splashy, wavy, drippy, wet water poems
We actively became water in a performance piece about how a small drop of water becomes a cloud
This week’s team challenge was to figure out how to draw 4 self-portraits on one piece of paper in…2 minutes!
Even getting the final 4-way Self Portrait back to circle for Reflection was a collaborative effort!
MATH & ELA
If your child wants to register for the Math Pentathlon Meet do so NOW! http://www.mathpentath.org/calendar/SPRING/SPRING_Texas.htm
We investigated coin money, began a deeper study of story problems, learned strategies to help one another read when being a reading partner, and short a vowels and c-v-c-e words.
Dates to Remember…
- January 13 – Mid-Year Survey Closes 1.13
- January 12-15 – Civil/Human Rights Week
- January 19 – Martin Luther King Day (no Monday Classes)
- January 22 – Shipe Park Day
- January 24 – Skate Party at Playland Skate
- January 29 – Spring Parent Night
- to Gabriel for her on-going librarian services to keep fresh books and stories available for our Alphas!
- Gabi for Thursday clean-ups – lots of sand this week wasn’t there, Gabi?!
- All of the wonderful support creating our Alpha’s owls and books – they were amazing & they’re so proud of them!